Monday, November 8, 2010

Milan-Lourdes-Barcelona-Madrid

We took an early train from Lake Como to Milan's central station. We stored our luggage and went out and walked around Milan for a couple of hours.  The Central Train Station in Milan is huge, the biggest I have ever seen, much bigger that the one in Paris. Milan is quite a fashion show. It is the center stage for the fashion industry. You see the skinny jeans, high boots and the latest style coats.  It is just fun to just sit and people watch. On the main square there is the Duomo or Catherdral.  It is just 2nd to St Peters in Rome to its beauty and style. It is just magnificant! We had lunch, shopped and people watched for a couple of hours before catching our train to Bergamo where we spent the night. We got up early the next morning to catch our plane to Paris. We flew out on RyanAir.  I did my reservation online as I do my hotel reservations as we go along (thank God I brought my laptop).  The price for the ticket per person was only 48 Euros which was pretty good.  Where they get you is if you forget to print your boarding pass, which is hard if you don't have a printer with you, they charge you 40 Euros each.  They also get you for 35 Euros if you need to check a bag which we did. So we got stuck for 150 extra euros which is $208.00.  Well live and learn.
When we finally got to the train station in Paris, we got the bad news that they were all sold out to Lourdes that day!  My heart just sank......that was the last thing I expected to hear!  After  talking to the clerk for a long time he finally said that there is a chance that if we talked to the Conductor on the train to Lourdes he might get you on.  So we took a chance and waited for the train to talk to the Conductor. The  way the board trains at the stations is interesting.  Everyone knows when their train leaves but they do not know what track it leaves from until 10 minutes before the train leaves. So everyone stands around looking at the board to see what track it leaves from and then makes a mad dash for the train as soon as it os posted on the board.  So we hardly had 10 minutes to find the conductor and tell him our sad story and get on the train if he said yes. We could not find the Conductor anywhere, but we did find a very pretty young Conductor Assistant who said" no problem I will get you on First Class"......her name was Marie!  That was a small miracle!
We stayed in a hotel that was built in 1850 which was a converted Convent called Logis de Nevers. It was old but lovely. It had the smallest elevator I have ever seen it was about 36" x 12".  I am sure the nuns did not have an elevator when they were there.
It is definetly off season in Lourdes now.  We walked right up and got in the "baths" right away.  When I was there in 2005 with Kate and Kara and Erin we waited for 4 hours to get in. There are two separate areas for the men and women. They always ask you what language you speak so they have someone to assist you in your language. They wrap you in a wet sheet before you go in, to make it easier to get in the cold water....believe me it is cold. You feel immediately dry when you get out.  It is a wonderful feeling. In the room where I was, there was an Indian woman from Mombai with her 1 month old son. They put him in the water and he did not make a peep.  It was amaizing.
I always remember my Mom telling me the story about her Mother Adeline Chamberland Martin who was dying of breast cancer when she was only 43 years old.  Her Mom thought that if she only could get to Lourdes she would be cured. I always feel my grandmother in spirit when I am there.
It was a wonderful day, the grounds and the church are just beautiful and very peaceful.
We left very early the next morning by train to Barcelona.  It actually took three trains to get there, but it was one of the most beautiful train rides!  Going through Southern France and going through the Pyrenees Mountain was wonderful. It took us all day to get there but is was a wonderful trip.  If you really want to see the country, the train is the way to see it.
All I can say about Barcelona is WOW! It is the most dynamic city I have ever been in. It reminds me of Buenas Aires but much better. You can feel the excitement just walking down the street.  I think this is my favorite city now! I am in love with Tapas, Sangria, and Flamenco Dancing. Hey, Kara, Lea and Amy, I know we talked about us all taking Belly Dancing lessons when I get home but could we also learn Flamenco Dancing ?  I really think I could do it!  By the way when I told Dick we were going to a Tapas Bar, he got all excited.......he thought I said Topless Bar! Oh, did you know the Pope was there when we were there. Dick said he thought he saw him get off one of those hop on hop off buses...or maybe that was Cardinal Mahoney.
We are in Madrid now. It is an interesting city but nothing like Barcelona. Dick is taking a nap so he can stay up late enough to see another Flamenco Dance tonight......it starts at 10:30 P.M. and then we have a 8:00 A.M. train in the morning to Granada.  Oh, I wonder what the poor people are doing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment